This aromatic noodle soup is so nutritious and satisfying, and yet only takes 20 mins to prepare. As an added bonus, the ginger, garlic, chili, and mushrooms will also help boost your immune system during the colder winter months.
Ingredients (serves 4)
1/2 tsp sesame oil
2 garlic cloves, thinly chopped
1.5 cm ginger, thinly chopped
1 shallot, thinly chopped
1L chicken stock (low salt)
2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
2 chicken fillets
2 spring onions, thinly sliced
2 tbsp basil and/or coriander
3 tbsp fish sauce
3 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp sugar
Wood ear mushrooms, dried
1-2 red chilis, thinly chopped
1. Place vermicelli noodles in a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Stand for 5 minutes and drain.
2. Heat sesame oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add ginger, garlic, shallots, and cook for 30 seconds. Add stock, Chinese wine, wood ear mushrooms, and bring to the boil.
3. Reduce heat and add the chicken to cook for 5 minutes or until just cooked through. Remove from stock, set aside to cool down, and slice into thin strips. Also, remove wood ear mushrooms and chop thinly.
4. Add fish sauce, lemon juice, sugar, basil or coriander, and spring onion to soup and bring to the boil.
5. Divide noodles between bowls, place sliced chicken on top, mushrooms on the side, and add broth. Serve with remaining chili and fried shallots on the side.