Spaghetti Bolognese is a go-to weeknight classic. Packed-full of blended vegetables for a rich and smooth finish, with all the health benefits. Red wine can be added for extra depth of flavour.
Ingredients (serves 6)
1 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
500g beef mince
2x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
2-3 tbsp tomato puree
2 tbsp parsley
2 tbsp thyme
2 bay leaves
125ml red wine (optional)
Salt & pepper
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic and fry for 10 mins or until browned and soft. Remove from the pan and if you prefer a finer texture – blend the mixture at this stage, or set aside.
- Increase the heat to medium-high, add the beef mince and cook stirring for 3-4 mins until the meat is browned.
- Add the cooked/blended vegetables, chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, stock, parsley, thyme, bay leaves, and red wine (optional). Stir well to combine.
- Bring to the boil, reduce to a gentle simmer, and cover with a lid. Cook for 1 hr stirring regularly, until you have a rich and creamy sauce. Remove bay leaves and season to taste.
- When the Bolognese sauce is nearly finished, cook spaghetti according to pack instructions and drain. Serve with sauce and parmesan.
Tip - make a double batch of the Bolognese sauce to freeze leftovers for a make-ahead meal, or to kickstart a super speedy classic beef Lasagna.